The in-built picture viewer of Windows, may not be suitable for many PC users and this is true, if more than picture viewing philosophy is required especially by photographers or novice who would like to have more power than just viewing. PhotoSurfer is one such software that lets you browse your photos in an enjoyable manner.
Upon installation, the wizard will guide you through the steps to load photo folder. PhotoSurfer allows loading of photos from various sources such as : Digital Camera, CD/DV, Email Attachment, Clipboard… If you have photos stored on some folders other than My Pictures then, you can add those folders to PhotoSurfer from the Folders page.
PhotoSurfer allows user to organize photos the way they want. Each page has one or more toolbars. Hover your mouse cursor over each icon in the toolbars to see the available functions. Albums enable you to organize your photos by topic without having to duplicate them. Albums are like virtual folders. You can create an Album by following this method :
- Click the Organizer button at the top of any page. Click the Albums tab at the top of the Organizer interface
- Click the Add a new Album button and Name your Album.
- Drag a photo or thumbnail from the left side over to the desired album on the right side.
The free version of PhotoSurfer also has photo enhancement features, such as Red Eye Correction, Brightness, Color Balance, Gamma Correction, Saturation etc…
To increase photo brightness do the following :
- View photo in Full View
- Select the Exposure Slider icon on the bottom toolbar
- Move the slider to brighten or darken your photo
- Select the Save icon on the bottom toolbar:
After finishing the photo corrections, you can set photo as Desktop Background or even start Slideshow and enjoy your best success story with your friends by uploading the to social networks or sending the pictures (also albums or folders) as email attachment (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo… Custom setup). To send pictures as email follow this method:
- Select the photos to send easily or send complete folders or albums at one time
- Maximize the number of pictures per email. You should be able to send a lot of photos, 50+ photos per email (high quality) at the default settings. If you want to increase the quality of the photos being sent, try setting the quality options to 60%
- Automatically resize photos to fit the recipients screen, automatically correct photo orientation
Also, there is an option to resize photos that you intend to email. This process doesn’t resize the original image, or it won’t create a duplicate, but it only resizes the photo(s) you are sending.
A part from the email section PhotoSurfer also includes Facebook and Flickr uploading features.
- Select the photos (also Albums or Folders) you want to upload.
- Click the ‘Upload’ icon on the main toolbar.
PhotoSurfer supports also photo printing. Just select the photo click on the print icon on the main toolbar and follow the guide to print the way you like it.
PhotoSurfer is offered in free version and Pro shareware, the Pro edition is FREE for the first 30 days and is always FREE for managing, up to 700 photos. You can find more comparison between Free and Pro here.
PhotoSurfer is well built software with simple guided interface, so that even novice will find it easy to manipulate the photos as they like. Have Camera? Use PhotoSurfer!
Download : PhotoSurfer
PS : BitDefender marks PhotoSurfer website as malicious. But, I think it is a false positive because URLvoid (which uses multiple webscanner) marks it as Clean.